Intrinsically Safe SPOT
The SPOT Satellite GPS Messenger (IS) is a GPS-enabled personal satellite messaging and emergency communications device providing a simple way to help address lone or remote worker safety. Using the same form factor as our consumer-based SPOT Satellite GPS Messenger, SPOT IS has been re-engineered and certified to meet the requirements of hazardous work environments. The easily identifiable blue SPOT IS is certified Intrinsically Safe for use in Class I, Division 1, Groups A-D environments under UL 913 and CSA C22.2 No. 157. These certifications allow companies operating in potentially combustible environments where the presence of flammable gases or vapors may exist, such as transportation, government, natural resources and oil and gas, to take advantage of SPOT messaging functionality. Certification was completed by MET Laboratories, Inc.
- SOS: Workers can use this function in the event of a life threatening or other critical emergency to notify emergency services of their GPS location. Once SOS is activated, SPOT IS will acquire its coordinates from the GPS network, and send that location along with a distress message every 5 minutes to the GEOS Emergency Response Center.
- Help: For less critical emergencies, workers can press this button to send pre-programmed requests for help to their head office or supervisor for example. Up to 10 contacts can be pre-programmed to the Help button sending the alert message via e-mail or SMS.
- Check-in/OK: For casual check-in messages, workers simply need to press the Check-in/OK button to advise employers that they have arrived at a location and/or to keep them posted on where they are at specified intervals. SPOT IS sends a Check-in/OK message once with the longitude and latitude and a pre-programmed message to the predetermined contacts. Up to 10 contacts can receive the Check-in/OK message via e-mail or SMS.
- Custom Message: The Custom Message function operates exactly like the Check-in/OK message. SPOT IS provides a Custom Message in case the user would like to pre-program different messages. This extra line of communication provides flexibility and functionality for the work environment.
- Track Progress: This feature allows employers to track the location of workers even beyond cellular using Google Maps™. Account holders have the ability to set up a SPOT Shared Page which allows the SPOT IS GPS locations to be shared easily through a public or private web page. Once activated, SPOT IS acquires the GPS location every ten minutes for 24 hours or until canceled. Track Progress also helps employers and workers in uncharted areas to record safe routes for future reference.