I/O Mapping Templates
I/O Pins are functional elements of Assets, and can be used to report or control logic for the Asset and any connections it may have. Each device supports a different number of I/O connections, and as such, I/O maps are required to help Asset Managers understand what each one reports. Many devices will report I/O values without a map, and creating a map for those devices will allow users to see a name for the values that are being reported, and then create more informative log entries. Once an I/O Mapping Template has been created, it can be applied to Assets at the Asset level, through Edit Asset: I/O.
For example, the most basic I/O reports that come to the portal are from iPhone and Android devices. They report a single I/O pin with a numerical value. Without a map, reports from these devices look something like this:
I/O Information Analog Pin 1: 83 Changed: 4/2/2009 9:18:52 PM
With a map that titles Analog Pin 1 Battery Level and sets the unit as %, the reports from these devices look something like this:
I/O Information Battery Level: 83% Changed: 4/2/2009 9:18:52 PM
I/O Mapping Template Fields
When creating and editing I/O Mapping Templates, users will have different options based on the type of device and the number of pins each has, but for the majority of devices, there are some standard I/O measurements and pins that are consistent.
- Name allows users to name the template, making it easier to assign to Assets.
- Device users select the device type from the drop-down menu of devices whose I/O Mapping Templates are supported by the portal.
Changing the Display Information
I/O Mapping Templates primarily allow users to change the information displayed in position reports that come in from Assets to which they’re assigned. All of the fields in Input - Analog Pin give users control of the display so that people viewing the Summary Panels have a better understanding of what they’re looking at.
Analog Pin or Sensors (Device-dependent)
- Pin Label: change the text that appears next to the reported data value (indicate what the data is)
- Unit: indicate what type of number it is (units of measurement, percentage, etc.) using the symbol or abbreviation ($, %, gal, ft, min) you wish to display in the Summary Panel.
- Factor: number by which the reported value will be multiplied
- Behavior: choose from a list of pre-set value types that most devices report
- Fuel Level: as measured by the device
- Fuel Consumed: as calculated against capacity
- Odometer: at the time of report
- Weight: as measured by sensors
- Engine RPM: at the time of report
- Power Take Off (PTO):
- Battery Voltage: as measured by the device
- Battery Percentage: as measured by the device
- Altitude: as measured by the device in standard units
- Full Value: when behavior = Fuel Level
- Fuel Capacity: when behavior = Fuel Level
- Max Weight: when Behavior = Weight
Input - Digital Pin
- On Label:
- Off Label:
- On Label:
- Off Label:
- Pulse Label:
Assigning I/O Mapping Templates
To assign an I/O mapping template to a device, the device type specified in the template must match the device type for the Asset.
- Open the Assets Module
- Select the Asset to which you wish to assign the template
- Click the cog button to open the Asset Options
- Select Edit Asset
- Select I/O
- Select the I/O Mapping Template from the drop-down menu
- Click save changes